Hey friends, we made it to another Friday! Hallelujah. I could not be more ready for the weekend!
This is what my week of workouts (Friday-Thursday) looked like.
Friday – Friday was Week 1, Day 2 of the Couch to 5K program. I have discovered I have not adapted to winter weather yet. I am such a newbie again! I need to work on toughening up this thin skin of mine. Friday was a windy, day with a bitter bite. I just couldn’t bring myself to run outside. Treadmill life for me! (6 WW FitPoints earned)
Sunday – Welcome to the jungle! It warmed up a bit and after Sassy’s afternoon tennis match, Stella and I hit the trails. I think everyone else in town had the same idea because the trailhead parking lot was overflowing. Literally. Cars were parking out on the county road when they couldn’t find a spot. One of the great things about this particular trails is it goes in several directions off the main loop so you usually feel like you have the whole thing to yourself. I only ran into two other people the entire run! (6 WW FitPoints earned)
Wednesday – The plan was to run on Tuesday. That didn’t happen. My foot has been feeling a bit irritated/achy, but not painful. I thought it was best to take another day off and keep icing it. Wednesday, we had really cold wind again. I just couldn’t bring myself to hit the trails, so I went to the gym instead. Bad idea. I knew as soon as I got there, I should have just sucked it up and went outside, but by then I was too late. I got 2.43 miles done in 49:07 minutes while watching Scandal. (7 WW FitPoints earned)
What are you looking forward to this weekend?
So I spent all of last night thinking it was Friday night. Thinking I had tomorrow off. Love the feeling of the beginning of the weekend! Then I realized it was only Thursday night. Whhhhy? Stupid brain. Anyway, let’s move on to my week of workouts (Friday-Thursday).
Friday – Friday did not go as planned. I got a late start so couldn’t hit the trails due to the darkness and couldn’t go to the gym due to the late hour. I ended up at a friend’s to use the treadmill. I started Week 1, Day 1 of the Couch to 5K program. I made it through three of the eight running intervals before the treadmill had issues. No more workout for me. =( (4 WW FitPoints earned.)
Saturday – It was unseasonably warm here with temps in the 50s! OMG Becky and I went to the zoo to visit our animal friends and spend sometime outside. It was glorious! Sadly, a large section of the zoo was closed that day. I never did find out why, but it happens to be my favorite part of the zoo so I was a little bummed. Good thing we have a zoo pass and can go anything we feel like it. We got in a little over 3 miles in an hour and a half. (10 WW FitPoints earned.)
Wednesday – I was ready to give my running intervals another try. This time I made it to the gym before they closed and was able to complete my W1D1 of the C25K. Fantastic! Though I did manage to accidentally reset the treadmill numbers right after I started my fifth running interval. Crap. I don’t know what my issue is with treadmills lately. (6 WW FitPoints earned.)
I am thrilled my foot is still doing great! I feel like I am taking this recovery as slow as possible, which is so hard sometimes. Then I remember I’ve had three breaks/stress fractures in the last few years. I need to take my time and do this the right way!
How were your workouts this week?
What’s the weather like in your area?
Do you know what today? It’s four weeks without my boot. Four glorious weeks! The last two weeks I have been slowly building up my time walking every other day, as advised by my doctor. And now… NOW I get to try running! Today I get to start very slowly doing some run/walk intervals every other day. It’s going to be fantastic! It’s forecasted to be 54 here today (though still foggy) and I will get to enjoy my first trail run of the year right after work. It’s going to be magical!
Here is how my last week (Friday-Thursday) of workouts looked.
Saturday – Treadmill walk because we were in the middle of an ice storm. Walking outside was not an option. I had 40 minutes on the agenda and I filled every single minute with music. And zero minutes on my bun. Obviously. 🙂 (6 WW FitPoints earned.)
Monday – We were just starting to thaw from the weekend of ice. Another treadmill walk for me. I had 50 minutes scheduled and I knew music alone wasn’t going to cut it. It was time for a little dose of Netflix. Scandal for the win! So much drama to distract me from the treadmill. It was just what I needed! (8 WW FitPoints earned.)
Wednesday – My final required recovery walk! This was for one hour. I indulged in another episode of Scandal and finished up with a few videos from Twenty One Pilots. Love them! (9 WW FitPoints earned.)
I am beyond happy to report my foot is still completely pain-free! No pain, no odd sensations. Fingers crossed this continues as I ease back into running. I need to be in the woods exploring trails! I am more than ready to take advantage of the nice weather they are predicting for the next week.
How was your week of workouts?
What was the highlight of your week?
I did it! I am finally back at it. Moving, grooving, making this foot of mine earn its keep! It’s been just the best week. Working out always makes me feel so much better overall. Mentally, physically, everything. I am so ready to get back out there and do what I want, when I want! Until the foot is completely ready healed, I will continue taking it slow and steady. Here’s what that looked like this past week (Friday-Thursday).
Friday – My first day to try out a short, 10-minute, flat walk with the foot. It was dreamy, but went by way too quickly! (2 WW FitPoints earned.)
Sunday – Another bump in my time to 15 minutes on the treadmill after an hour of playing tennis at the club with Sassy. By playing I mean hitting balls to her to return and being a target for her to serve against. I knew lunging at tennis balls would not be a good idea for me at this time. Soon enough! (2 WW FitPoints earned.)
Tuesday – 20 minutes was on the agenda and it was finally warm enough (but still very chilly!) to walk outside. So excited! It was dark by the time I got home from work so OMG Becky and I went to a well-lit, local walking trail with Stella. It felt amazing to breathe in the fresh air and relax! (3 WW FitPoints earned.)
Thursday – Another treadmill walk for me with another increase up to 30 minutes. It was a fine time, just kind of boring. I had planned to watch an On Demand show, but it kept freezing up. I finally turned on my favorite playlist and got it done! The girls went to a yoga class and I would have liked to join them, but again, I am waiting on things like that. Still protecting the foot for a bit longer! (5 WW FitPoints earned.)
This week will be another week of walking and increasing my time. I hope the weather cooperates and I can get some of done outside! Though I don’t see that happening anytime soon. We have freezing rain tonight through Sunday afternoon. Not even sure if I will be able to get out to a treadmill tomorrow for my scheduled walk. Fingers crossed the ice isn’t as bad as the local news stations say it might be!
How was your fitness this week?
What was the highlight?
I told you recently I am really working on getting my workouts in with my new work schedule. Part of that included changing gyms. My daughters and I have been members of the YMCA for years. And we have loved it there!
Some things we enjoyed about our Y in Oregon where my girls and I spent a lot of time:
- Beautiful space with classes at all hours of the day, every day of the week.
- Great sports programs for the kids, including volleyball, gymnastics and fencing.
- Salt water pool that Sassy would live in, if I let her.
- Gorgeous wellness studio, where every yoga class was always packed.
- A sauna!
- They also offered training running groups all year round. I discovered my love of running with other people there!
- A large foyer with tables and chairs and couches for hanging out. The girls enjoyed going their to do their homework.
- The feel of a family, community center.
So when we moved back to the Midwest, we quickly joined our nearest YMCA. While it was okay, it lacked a lot of the amenities our previous Y offered.
- None of the sports programs for the girls were offered there. Their programs were pretty limited to tennis, soccer and basketball for younger children.
- Fewer fitness classes offered.
- Open shorter hours.
- No common/foyer area.
For awhile it worked for me because my work schedule was so flexible. Then when I started my new job in November, I realized my gym time was taking a hit. I suddenly could only make it to one yoga class a week. And it would have to be in the evening. I don’t really like being gone for the evening away from my girls when I’ve already been gone all day at work. The hours the Y was open was also really short on the weekend. I couldn’t go before work on Saturday or before church on Sunday. And they close early on both days. My girls were not going as often to this new Y either. I think overall they just didn’t care for it.
I then began shopping around for another gym. I needed a gym with longer hours. It had to be more convenient for me. Around this same time my mom was interested in joining a gym as well. We decided on one that I hope will be a good fit. So what do I like about the new gym?
- It’s open 24/7, Monday – Friday and 7 AM-7 PM on Saturdays and Sunday. So many more hours!
- It’s less expensive! I am paying less than half the price I was paying at the Y. While my girls are not members of this new gym, but I can take them (or any other guest) with me (one at a time) as often as I want.
- More equipment. There are more than double the number of machines at the new gym. I love not waiting!
- Changing rooms! I like privacy.
- More cleaning happening! At the Y, I noticed many people didn’t clean the machines after their workout. Especially when they were going from machine to machine. And I only saw staff cleaning twice in the year I was there. I would then have to clean a machine before and after I used it. The members at this new gym are cleaners! Everyone seems to wipe down when they are done. And there is always a staff member floating around cleaning, too.
- Free tanning! This gym offers free traditional tanning beds and spray tans. I am not a fan of tanning beds. Bad stuff. And I have never had a spray tan, but I will definitely be getting one soon!
- Free massage! This gym offers hydromassage beds and massage chairs. I don’t care for the massage chairs, but I quickly fell in love with the hydromassage beds. Feels so good.
Now there are negatives with the new gym. The big one being no classes. I was really considering a different gym that offers everything I wanted. So why did I choose this one? Because my mom wanted to join! And having a workout partner outweighs classes for me right now.
And so far it’s been great! We have both been getting up early, she picks me up and then we hit the gym at 5:00 AM a few days a week. I’m pretty sure this is the first gym she has belonged to. If not, I know she hasn’t been a member for at least 15 years. So far we have just explored the treadmills and bikes. I can’t wait to introduce her to other machines as she gets more comfortable in the gym environment.
Here is my week in workouts…
- Sunday: Hike with OMG Becky.
- Monday – Treadmill run at the gym with my mom.
- Tuesday – Treadmill run and cool-down on the recumbent bike at the gym with my mom.
- Thursday – Treadmill run at the gym with my mom.
As you can see, my runs are slow. So slow. But I am working on building my endurance again. And I need to introduce some strength and core workouts. Either way, I am happy to be doing something again. It feels so good to move! I am working towards my goals of 500 miles and 10,000 exercise minutes this year. You can follow my progress in the sidebar on the right here and on DailyMile.
What are your 2014 fitness goals?
I know I have been MIA lately. And if I didn’t already know, I would because OMG Becky made it a point to tell me I have been slacking on my posting this week. Thank you, OMG Becky. She keeps me on my toes. 😉
The reason for my absence? Work. I have been working double my usual number of hours these few weeks. Great for my paycheck! Not so great for anything else in my life. The girls, of course, are priority and I am lucky enough to be able to work my schedule around their activities. I am sad to say Sassy’s cross country season is already half over.
We have really been enjoying it. So fun to see her improve at every race! Now if I could just talk OMG Becky into joining a cross country team…
I love Sassy’s pink team shirt! The girls on the team wanted pink and somehow talked the boys into picking it, too. They wear the shirts and matching socks to school on days of their meets. And the back?…
Less boomtastic is this week’s workout recap;
- Friday – This started as a trail run. Stella the Boxer and I took a new to us trail. Or should I say hill. It was all downhill one way. Stella the Boxer has a thing for pulling on her leash on hills. As in about to rip my hand off pulling. Our run turned into a power
struggle walk. Down the very long hill and then back up. Fun for all. (Can you sense my sarcasm?)
- Saturday – Rest day from fitness, but not from work.
- Sunday – Total rest day! Except for that MLB game we went to. Walking from the parking lot to the stadium and stadium stairs count, right?…
- Monday – Rest day.
- Tuesday – Back at it! Trail run with Stella the Boxer on one of my favorite local trails. Fewer hills. Yeah!
- Wednesday – Rest day.
- Thursday – Trail run with OMG Becky and Stella the Boxer. Best run I’ve had in a while!
That Just Happened! What happened in your fitness this week?
Here’s my weekly workouts recap.
- Friday – Rest day
- Saturday – Rest day, round 2!
- Sunday – Hike with my girls and dog
- Monday – Trail run with dog. Her first! Forgot to tell you about this one, but I totally forgot to wear my ankle brace. As you know, I am to wear this current brace through the end of October. Ankle felt fine on the run, but swollen for the next 12 hours. Oops!
- Tuesday – Walk with daughter and dog and booty exercises
- Wednesday – Treadmill run AND elliptical. Trying to make up for those two rest days earlier in the week! 😉
- Thursday – Rest day
This was a week of rest days apparently. My goal is to work out 5-6 days a week. That, obviously, did not happen.
Oh well. No sense in beating myself up over things in the past. On to a better week!
How was your fitness this week?