We had a weekend of winter storms with freezing rain roll through. I don’t know about you, but to me that means I need warm, comfort food and that means soup! I made a large pot of this Black Bean Soup on Friday night and we enjoyed it all weekend long.
Black Bean Soup (Vegetarian)
Total Time: 35 minutes ¦ Prep Time: 15 minutes ¦ Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans black beans, divided
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large poblano pepper, seeded, stemmed, diced small
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (32 oz) carton vegetable broth, divided
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Salt (to taste)
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Diced avocado
- Shredded cheese (Mexican or cheddar)
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Place 1 1/2 cans of drained/rinsed black beans and 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth in a food processor. Pulse until well pureed. Set aside.
- Rinse remaining 2 1/2 cans of black beans in a strainer. Set aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add oil to coat. When oil ripples, add chopped onion and diced pepper. Saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook stirring for another minute.
- Add remaining vegetable broth, black beans, black bean puree mixture, fire-roasted tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat up to medium-high.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro. Serve hot with desired toppings. Serves 8.
Serving Size = 1 cup. Weight Watchers Smart Points = 6 points.